Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Cowboy



My babies were born in suburbia with a  1/2 Filipino, 1/2 country bloodline. They have an undeniable wild side that warrants plenty of outdoor time, running wild and getting dirty.  My family came from Oklahoma and Texas then settled in the conservative town of Bakersfield years ago. In the house that built me is where I grew my love for country music, ropers & wranglers.
I've always thought it admirable, the way of the cowboy; whether a real western boy or cowboy at heart. I remember the Summer I spent in Texas as a little girl and the kindness and respectful demeanor of the people in that small sleepy town. The way everyone greeted you with a smile and 'God Bless; the way they'd tip their hats and offer a helping hand to anyone in need.  The way the good ol' boys would hand out a whoopin' for the slightest sign of disrespect in the presence of the ladies. I admit, while my time there was short, it left a lasting impression.
I've made a conscious effort to instill the ways of the cowboy into my sons, building within them a desire to serve and work hard. Instilling a nature that is respectful, polite, honest, courageous, loyal, and thankful. I pray they will keep a sense of wonder as they grow, having adventurous spirits, full of dreams, and strong in character; Always willing to lend a helping hand or bow in prayer for a friend in need. 

They have their Daddy's sweet nature and momma's wild at heart. As my husband and I sit back and watch the blessings that God has given us grow into young men, we tilt our hats to the Maker with thankful hearts. We love to take the boys out into the trails and streams and let them run free. Skipping rocks, getting dirty, and scraping knees.  I hope that whatever path they choose in life, whatever city they call home, they will remain cowboys at heart.



 I hope I shall always possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an "Honest Man"-George Washington




It is not enough for a man to learn how to ride; he must learn how to fall.
-Mexican Proverb


The grand essentials of happiness are: something to do, something to love, and something to hope for.
-Allan K. Chambers


My father used to play with my brother and me in the yard. Mother would come out and say, "You're tearing up the grass." "We're not raising grass," Dad would reply. "We're raising boys."
-Harmon Killebrew






No comments:

Post a Comment