Wednesday, February 8, 2012

The first step is admitting you have a problem...

I have a confession...I am an addict. I suppose an addict of the noble variety, if there is such a thing. My addiction runs deep; controls my days and affects my moods. It has gotten in the way of relationships and is starting to affect my work life. I visit my dealer 2, sometimes 3 times a day. When I have no money to support my habit or my weekly allowance runs out, I turn to begging my sister or collecting change for the cans in my backyard. Sometimes I even hustle a gift card or two from my well-meaning nieces or nephews...I have sold my soul to the coffee bean and tea leaf, forsaking my King for a mere idol...


It has been said, whatever you spend your time thinking about, spending money in the name of, and planning your days around is your god...well now I feel bad.... Starbucks and coffee houses of the like-my dear, sweet, drug suppliers; the idols I have been worshiping, spending my money on, planning my days around, drinking in your stimulating nectar and inhaling your delicious highly addictive cake-pop balls and other bad-for-me pastries...I will no longer be enslaved to your convenient drive-thrus, or eclectic variety of caffeinated drinks. I refuse to run to you when I need a fix, a quiet moment, or energy to clean my house. I am a new creation in Christ no longer in bondage to the things of this world or the desires of this flesh, shoot... you betta ask somebody.


Ok...so I've said it in the past, I'm quitting. I really can't say that it's forever, but i definitely need to detoxify. I tried to do the moderation thing...it worked for a minute. Then 3 shots of espresso per day slowly turned into 6 and the rest is history. Now, some have said "why stop doing what you enjoy" "a little coffee isn't going to kill you; if you like it, drink it"  "at least it's not crack",  these are all good points, but come from the same people I see lurking in the shadows of the neighborhood cafes, downing their coffees and espressos with kids in tow and stress level elevated. I don't like dependency, and dependent I am, so I am breaking off this love affair. I am kicking this habit.


For the next 21 days, I will be chronicling my experience trying to kick my habit: the road to recovery, spiritual and physical if you will. No longer feeding my flesh the things that it craves, I will take control over this temple and check it in its rebellious ways; I will be fasting, praying, and seeking the Lord during this time...For anyone who has never heard of such a thing or has never considered the crap we feed ourselves on a daily basis that contributes to the many physical, mental, and emotional health problems we experience, I invite you to look into the compelling evidence that suggests the harmful affects of sugar and caffeine and consider detoxing from such substances and seeing how you feel.


 This is no easy feat...believe me, I've tried it before and always find an excuse to eat what I want instead of practicing self-control.
This time, I will be incorporating a spiritual component and will be in continual prayer. (Really putting into practice the verse that reminds me, I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength-Phil. 4.13. I have a feeling I'm gonna need it!) There are many different ways to fast. Some more extreme than others; but I will be using a fast that was originated by a rad character in the bible named Daniel. You can read about him in scripture...you can read about his fast here:   http://daniel-fast.com/about.html


The Last Supper... 


(Cont'd on 21 Days to Recovery)





 
 

 





 
-





2 comments:

  1. I believe in you Coco. With God all things are possible. He shepherds the weak; and although you are far from weak, we all have our individual character flaws and side-effects. Caffeine is certainly a popular one these days! I will keep you in my prayers and well wishes as you try to regain control over your faculties ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. the message translation cuts deep, love it! keep on goin' strong! your an inspiration my dear friend.

    ReplyDelete